Short History of St Andrew’s
St. Andrew’s is located in "The East End" of Eastbourne and is known at St. Andrew’s, Norway. This has nothing to do with the Scandinavian country but stems from the fact that the church was originally built on the North Way or Nor’ Way out of Eastbourne. St. Andrew’s was originally a daughter parish of Christ Church, Eastbourne, and it was in the early 1880s that the Reverend Edward Ebenezer Crake was appointed as the first curate in charge at Norway Hamlet. The services at that time were held in one of the Norway Cottages.On Sunday 23rd October 1881, the Lord Bishop of Chichester opened the School Mission Room in Vine Square, which had been erected at Norway Hamlet for the convenience of residents in that distant portion of Christ Church district(It is interesting to note that these mission rooms form part of the current St. Andrew’s Church of England Infant School in Vine Square).A portion of the School Mission Room was shut off from the rest, and was used exclusively for worship. It was also used for Mothers Meetings, Temperance Meetings, Clothing Club and Library.1885 saw the building of a new church for the Ceylon Baptists and the disposal of their Iron Tabernacle to Norway. On the morning of Tuesday 9th June the Iron Church at Norway was opened and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese. The priest in charge at this time was the Reverend Hurney Whitchurch who had replaced the Reverend Crake in 1884. This church was to serve the area of Norway for 25 years until 1911 when it was agreed that the Iron Church needed replacing as it was practically tumbling to pieces!At the Easter Vestry Meeting in April 1911 it was announced that the Bishop’s Committee and the Town Council had passed plans for a new church building. The foundation stone for the church was subsequently laid on October 23rd 1911 in a ceremony performed by the Mayor of Eastbourne. St. Andrew’s first vicar, Reverend Harold Pain, arrived in May 1912 and the church was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Chichester, Dr. Ridgeway, on 25th July 1912.As the parish grew in size, there came a requirement for a parish meeting room and on January 23rd 1918, Reverend Pain opened St. Andrew’s Church House with a short dedication service.The Church House was achieved by combining two adjacent houses on the High Pavement in Seaside. The aim of the building was to give a temporary home for the church guilds etc. In fact the temporary accommodation lasted for another 47 years, until the church hall was built at the rear of the Arlington Arms.The old Church House building still exists and is currently a shop occupied by HSS Equipment Hire on the corner of Rye Street. The wording for St. Andrew’s Men’s Club was painted on the sidewall.